Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder


This morning, I got the opportunity to test out my camera etiquette blogging skills for breakfast at The Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder.

I've had the luxury of going to The Larder a few times before, once for breakfast and twice for lunch. The restaurant is well set up, the Larder well stocked and the little shop a treat. But it is the food and the 'atmosphere' which draws so many to The Larder, and which, certainly keeps a few other cafes/restaurants from setting up shop.

I used to work at a shitty (and I mean shitty) cafe a few doors down from The Larder. I would often look up at the always packed front tables and the waitstaff with their elaborate aprons and always straight chairs, wishing that I worked somewhere like that where I could stretch my waitressing skills. Well - I'm a pretty dense waiter so it's a good thing I didn't.

For those not in the know (I am such an arse), The Larder is Stephanie Alexander's restaurant (I think her daughter runs it now?), open for breakfast and lunch and special occasion pre-booked dinners and private functions. Fancy Shmancy.

The first time I came to The Larder, I saw that guy from Recovery who now works for Nova radio - first 'celeb siting'- guy wearing glasses inside: oh so Hollywood. I think that sums the shmoosy people quite well.

Anyway back to the food. It really is that good. The breakfast, apart from a few dishes I could take or leave, is tough because it all looks so good.

My table of four, on this particular breakfast occasion, ordered three special breakfasts and something quite typical, all dishes include something special from the Larder or Cheese room, so it's a nice way of trying something that you can take home and use yourself.



The corn fritters - Breakfast lady, after much scrutiny decided on the Fritters with smoked salmon and RHCL chutney. I've had this dish before (without the egg). A good relish, really does make any corn dish. Breakfast lady seemed to enjoy it, but miffed (as was I) that the poached egg on top is $3 extra! Miffed, because it really needs the extra protein and smooth finish to complement the relish, and soften the richness of the corn fritters.


The Baghdad eggs - Breakfast Boyfriend A ordered the impressive looking and deliciously fragrant Baghhad eggs. With middle eastern flavors and flat bread, you gotta admit it's pretty freakin impressive (if not a bit expensive). I mean is this not amazing?! This is the sort of dish for which you come to an always packed restaurant like RHCL, something special that you will never get anywhere else- except maybe in Baghdad?


The blueberry pancakes, much raved about by Breakfast buddy Man, look and smell amazing, claimed by Lady and Buddy Man as the best pancakes in...the world!
Breakfast buddy Man without any hesitation, ordered the pancakes as he always does at The Larder. Served with real maple syrup and blood red orange curd, this is an impressive take on an American favorite. But, we must warn you VERY filling. Breakfast buddy Man could only finish one pancake while Breakfast Lady polished off the rest. After one bite I was through- no more avocado toastie for me...


I struggled over what to have for breakfast. Muesli? No too milky for one with a cold. Eggs? No, I'll have them for lunch? The Bruschetta? No I don't like the thought of trout for breakfast. I thought, for the sake of this entry, that I shouldn't order the same dish as anyone else, so opted for the avocado on toast with goats feta, chilli and basil - something fresh (always tasted better with good produce). Yummy - bit serving and yummy, but a little more feta would have gone down well.
All gone!

Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder

48-50 Bridge Road, Richmond, Victoria

Phone: 03 9421 2808

Check out the website for upcoming special events at the Larder - must go one of these days.

Question ... Has anyone been to one of Stephanie Alexander's other restaurants - Florentine or Sapore?



3 comments:

  1. Hi Jess...I didn't see an email for you so I'm sending you a message this way. I'm a casting coordinator at Big Coat Productions in Toronto. I think you might be a great candidate for our new series called Chef Worthy. Please check out the show description at www.bigcoatproductions.com. Hope to hear from you.

    Best,

    Jessica Gale
    jessica@bigcoatproductions.com

    ReplyDelete