Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Friday night is laksa night

I've been thinking a lot about Laksa King lately. We usually have Laksa King on friday nights - it's pretty good laksa.

I've been thinking about it though, in terms of its so called authenticity. LK has long been heralded as offering the best laksa in town, with ques out the door. Fair enough, I thought and have agreed: it is really yummy.

Jeroxie (aka Penny) from Addictive and Consuming recently posted a review of the great Laksa King and I think it perfectly sums up the King of Laksa. Here is a little excerpt summing up her thoughts:

With the change in dynamics of the punters, the taste of the food has changed to adapt or accommodate. The broth has less heat and become sweeter and more coconut taste in recent years. Hence the change in colour from a orange red to a yellow orange broth. It still tastes good but it isn’t as authetic as I like it to be.

I think she is totally spot on, and the comments posted on her blog seem to agree that's it's not exactly what you'd get in Malaysia or Singapore but for Hawker food in Melbourne, it's one of the best laksa's you'll find. The only other place I'd consider going in Old Raffles Place in Collingwood, if I was in the area. There's is good but without the yummy eggplant and huge ques.

In my household, we've come to the conclusion that the only things we'll order are the Curry Laksa's either with seafood or vegetarian. We've tried a few of the other non-laksa dishes, which at best seem a little bland and same sameish. Last night, we tried the Fishhead laksa (with fillets), I thought the fish, though poor quality was pretty good, but without any vegies to sustain the dish it does become a little repetative. For me I'll keep going back for the vegie laksa - yummy!

Laksa King
Shop 3, 320 Racecourse Rd
Flemington 3031
(03) 9372 6383

cash only.

FIY, if your interested, Laksa King will soon be moving to a bigger location of Pin Oak Crescent, where the old video easy used to be. They've started renovations and it really is a massive space. Still in the shell/demolotion stage, it'll be a while till they move. It will be interesting to see what the new location/kitchen facilities does to the Hawker style quality of the food. Hmmmmm... what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment