Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Horoki Casual Dining Bar

I never actually posted a follow up to my post- fifteen girls night with K.
I find myself unwilling to post if I don't any any decent photos - but as I don't own a camera, this makes life (errrr the blog) a bit tricky.

So here are my follow up thoughts of Horoki.
photo credit: http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/horoki_casual_dining_bar/


I got the impression that the layout of the restuarant was modern aussie bar style - you know leather stools, bottles of wine displaced non nonchalantly and deep sedar mellowing the atmosphere, well the bar at Horoki fits well within this description, except with one difference - Horoki, sits in one of those buildings with ginormous front glass windows/walls - very asian-esque. This fusion, in terms of the interior design and the food is what makes Horoki a fun dining experience, where east meets west.


After reading a number of reviews for Horoki, I was curious enough to give it a go.
Said reviews, claimed it to be a fusion of Australian, Asian and Mediterranean cuisine - I wanted to see how this would turn out.... as it turned out - very well.

We started with a couple of sapporo beers while we set about deciding on what to eat.

We decided on tuna carpaccio with parmesan and dressing, the octopus pancake, and the diakon salad with sashimi.

I didn't find the pancake especially amazing, nor was the sashimi plate fusion-amazing... but the tuna caraccio was enough to beg me to come back again.

The flavours of the raw tuna with the tart dressing ans rich parmesan was a triumph - why have i not thought of this, i thought to myself.

That's how Horoki does it - simple creations which beg you to consider how well the fresh ingredients go together and how come no one has done this before!?

There are many adventurous dishes that I want to try, many though have red meat or chicken in them, especially the tapas menu. So I'll just have to come back time and time again to sample Chef Kenji Higuchi's many interesting main dishes for myself. Perhaps this is how he wanted it? To get you to come back over and over again - sounds good to me.


Horoki Casual Dining
19 Liverpool St Melbourne 3000 VIC
Phone: (03) 9663 2227

No comments:

Post a Comment