Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ah Melbourne...part 2



So I got myself all dolled up Saturday afternoon to take photos of my new dress. I planned to head into the CBD earlier than my dinner companions - meet the little one's boyfriend night with my sisters and the boys - for drinkies with a friend.

Two seconds after arranging to meet in the city at 5, the heavens opened and the motherUcking hail began. Thus began the next two hours of boyfriend, Krumm and me running from window to door to bed to bathroom to inspect the gobstopper sized hail stones... I've read reports of tennis ball size hail stones - but I remain scepticle. Well to jump to the end of the story I never made it into the city. I wore my pretty dress down to the train station, I left for home after twenty minutes of pondering my options after the tenth delay update.


Little One spent four hours in the CBD trying to get back to Twin's house, finally arriving back soaking wet and excausted! We decided not to put ourselves through CBD flooding and transport woes for our planned din din at Izakaya Chuji and ended up driving the back streets to Smith Street for Japanese at the new Wood Spoon Kitchen.

I was initially drawn to the menu after seeing they had Onigiri, which I haven't had since we were in Japan.

It's a really cute place, smelling freshly painted and with an impressive interior I felt like we had hit jackpot as soon as we sat at the big front table waiting for our dinner party to arrive. I'm not too sure how long it has been open for, but situated opposite Coccoro and pretty much next to Wabi Sabi Salon, it can't have been their too long right!?

After a long while catching up, hugging and contemplating the menu I think we were all pretty impressed with our ordering and with the various dishes which came out.

I opted to start with the Onigiri Set with Ebi-Salad (prawn), Tuna-Salad and the Cheese Curry, which came with edamame and pickled vege. Boyfriend and I shared the onigiri for our entree while twin + 1 got the okonomaki as did little one + 1, which were also really good.

For our mains boyfriend and I decided to share our dishes - the Japanese Style Curry with tofu croutons and the vegetarian japanese miso broth with udon.

We both absolutely loved the curry but the miso broth was very disapointing - without much flavour apart from roasted garlic we pretty much pushed it aside and munched on little one's left over okonimaki.

The clear winner of the night though, had to be Little One's salmon Soba Salad. It was a delicious salad perfectly balancing the wasabi sesame dressing with the salad and noodles. The smoked salmon was fresh and delicous, but I couldn't help but wonder why it wasn't raw!?

Anyway the point of the whole day was that without the change of plans brought on by the disastrous weather, we never would have stumbled across Wood Spoon Kitchen. I hope to stumble across it again soon.


Wood Spoon Kitchen
PH: (03) 9416 0588
88 SMITH ST, COLLINGWOOD 3066

Fully Licensed - NO BYO
Closed Mondays
.
Open Tuesday - Sunday, 5pm - late.

No comments:

Post a Comment