Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Friday, July 3, 2009

Rice Queen


Not Me - the new restaurant on Smith Street silly!

Where Level 2, 231Smith Street, Fitzroy. 94196624.
Prices entrees $3.80-$7.80; mains $10-$15.
Cash only
Fully licensed
Open
Thu-Sun 5.30pm-10pm. Bar licensed until later.
Photo: The Age Epicure online
You know I'd been looking forward to trying Rice Queen out for quite a while, it opened up on the first floor under Panama Lounge. The guys who set up Rice Queen also set up Panama Lounge and St Jude's cellar on Brunswick Street. Panama is a bit pricey for me and apparently St. Jude's isn't really vegie friendly. But I was desperate (especially after reading reviews) to try RQ out for myself. My sisters Peta and Ellen joined me along with Peta's boyfriend Paul.

Ell and I started with the mushroom spring rolls and decided on the vegie, tofu and kafka lime rice noodle stir fry.
Peta ordered a chicken and potato curry and Paul (thankfully) wanted to try the asian spag bol! I was super excited about that one!

Peta and Paul (especially Paul) enjoyed their dishes a whole bunch, but as for Ellen and I - I have to admit we were pretty disappointed. It wasn't that the vegies were fresh and cooked well because they were, but the rice noodles were dried and the whole dish was a little oily and didn't have much flavour.

I'm sure it was just this particular dish and hope to go back to try a seafood dish, but as for being vegie friendly - they are friendly just not over the moon with us!

Has anyone else been? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment