Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dainty Sichuan



I have a confession to make. I have been keeping a few restaurants to myself, in the unrealistic hope that it won't become over-crowded so I can always get a table, instead of waiting for 30 minutes for a mid-week treat! But my selfish attempt is, for lack of a better word - silly.

So first on my list in Dainty Sichuan. With a long history (in restaurant terms atleast), starting with 8 tables in Collingwood in 2003 and moving into Corrs lane three years later. The 120 seats still had people (myself included) queuing around the restaurant and down the block! Last year, Dainty made the move to a 2 story establishment in South Yarra (just a little down from the station) with it's regular menu as well as a traditional hotpot menu.

Oi, our first visit this year did not disapoint, it was just as spicy and delicious as I remembered.
Boyfriend and I can't go past the spicy fish hotpot and select a couple of vege dishes and the spicy cold noodles (mandatory).


It's alot of food but we can handle it. Boyfriend, although orders enough for 3/4 just for us two, would freak out if a third person came on board and probably order a coupla extra dishes!

Also can't go past the garlic cucumber, it's so refreshing after the spicy noodles, if a little slippery to pick up with the chop sticks.

Yes, I know it looks scary but it is the best frickin thing in the world, awesome on a 40 degree day, amazing on a 10 degree days or when you've got a cold, a hangover, your depressed or happy. It just rocks okay. OMG I want it right now!

The dried tofu and spring onion, although not overly spicy is chewy and smoky and just delicious! As the tofu is quite pungent, getting another vegetables dish is a good idea.

I just love Dainty, I would venture over more if time allowed, was so much easier when still in the CBD. I was a virgin to sichuan before Dainty, so as much as I cheat at different sichuan restaurants, Dainty will always be special to me.

Dainty Sichuan
176 Toorak Road, South Yarra
ph: 90781686

No comments:

Post a Comment