Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vue De Monde Cocktail Night

Oy. I just realised that the validity/ relevance of this post has kinda decreased since March - when the posse went to Cafe Vue's 'Friday night at the movies' themed cocktail night.

So if you haven't been, it's an awesome way to experience the Vue legacy without the scary bill at the end. For $75 a head you get matched food and cocktails! Each month caters a different theme so you're always guarenteed a different experience.

Warning though - the emphasis is very much placed on the alcohol, with the food being matched to the alcohol so it's important to be a borderline alcoholic if you're really going to take advantage of the creative genius of the head chef and his lovely waiters.

I was promised, at the end of the night, when I was fairly sloshed that they would send me the waiter notes for each of the special cocktails - well that never happened but that's okay I have to get the courage to take outta notebook and pen and be all 'food blogger' on there ass.

Anyway, the fuzziness of my memory and of my photos kinda increased as the night procressed (obvious joke - but wonder why?) which has lead me not to post anything, until now. I mean the care and detail which must go into these friday nights for the staff certainly warrents better photo taking skills and better descriptions. But I have neither of those so I'll just post these photos and urge you to book yourself in for a night out... just make sure you're not working the following day.

The vegetarian starter - zucchini flower stuffed with pureed eggplant and other pureed stuff.

Carpaccio of 'Bambi' with pink peppercorns and apples


The 'Roundhay Garden' thick... berry... yummy...


The 'Charlie Chaplin' cocktail - with sloe gin, apricot, lime and lime peel


Hot dog & Chips - Look how cute they are! The ones on the left are fresh baby corn with pickled red onion and gerkins and the ones on the right have a chicken mousse instead of the corn, all served in a brioche bun.




I don't have a photo of the 'Confit flathead with ratatouille' - the ratatouille was amazing, we all agreed that it was a highlight. Above, 'The Jazz Singer' a oldfashioned take on a bloody mary. Interesting, I mean I love bloody mary's but this was really really really interesting, not in the best way!





Caprifeuille goat's cheese with lychees poached in rose water served with the 'Rosebud' cocktail (below). OMG - the goat's cheese was amazing. It seemed so obvious that lychees would compliment the delicious french cheese so well, yet it is seldom done! I'm pretty sure the cheese dish was garnished with actual and eatable rose petals. The Rosebud cocktail - champagne served over Persian rose flavored fairy floss - peerrrrrty.



Gaaaaahhhh and finally- 'Popcorn' Madeleine with salt and butter' with a 'Buttered Popcorn' cocktail. Woooo this madeleine was amazing and the delicious salted candy popcorn was so delicious. A perfect dish and definitely my favorite of the six dishes. I would eat this everyday if I could. Strangely though at this stage the impression (as well as a photo) of the popcorn cocktail has long since left me - i seem to remember it was good though!




Me after many a drink! So happy. So 'sober'.

Photo evidence of the decline of my photo skillz.


Vue de monde

- Normanby Chambers
430 Little Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Telephone: +61 3 9691 3888
Facsimile: +61 3 9600 4600

No comments:

Post a Comment