Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Friday, April 9, 2010

Eggscellent Easter


Easter overload! See the finished eggs on the left - I filled them with mini m&m's!

I know. I know... but bestie came out with it over the weekend away and I just couldn't help myself!

So OK. I had to take a week off work and had no idea how I would entertain myself on Thursday and Good Friday. How would I fill my time productively? With Easter approaching I realised I had to get two family Easter egg bundles together. Well Easter eggs get a bit expensive and can end up being a bit generic, so with all this time on my hands, what else would I do but endeavor to make Easter eggs for everyone?

Getting the moulds proved a challenge, as no one was selling them! One cooking supplies shop had stocked a handful but had sold out Melbourne-wide! Next step - internets! I stumbled across Roberts Confectionery website and put an order in for some moulds to pick up the following day.

Deciding on these: (images courtesy of Roberts Confectionery)





Making easter eggs was a little bit harder (okay alot) than I initially thought, I mean I basically stood in the kitchen for two days and went through a bucket load of chocolate. I mean it's my own fault I thought the filled eggs were so cute and just had to get them - requiring chocolate colouring (oil based powder), I also decided to fill some medium eggs (came in the bunny mould case) with caramel).

But you know what? In the end it was cheaper than buying that many eggs and totally worth it - everyone felt really special and thought they were gorgeous- and you know what else? - I didn't eat one single easter egg!

I used a smaller paint brush to fill the decorative designs and a medium brush to layer the chocolate in the eggs.


I made far too much caramel,but it was exciting to see it turn from clear to caramel!


Home made caramel

So yes - I'm waiting on more photos of the little bundles I handed out to friends and family and I'll post them when I get them.

In addition to the egg bundles I made some yummy chocolate cupcakes with green icing and chocolate bunnies on top! They were so gorgeous and really easy to make - I'll definately do them next year.

Icing tip: Along with the green colouring, I added peppermint oil and fresh lemon juice (boyfriend's mum gave me the suggestion!) to the butter icing. Absolutely delicious, the lemon juice added layers to the butter icing mixture and softened the peppermint very nicely. We ended up with the juice of 1 whole lemon into the mixture for 48 cupcakes. So good.

P.S If you've got photos of my eggs please email them to me so I can post them up! This post feels a little incomplete :S

No comments:

Post a Comment