Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Friday, May 8, 2009

hookas' risoni

Another thing my dad is good at making (exceptional even) is puttanesca pasta. We've always called it hookers pasta in our household because it is cheap. But I don't think it is all that cheap really - olives, basil, anchovies & parmesan cheese are all pretty pricey!

I tried risoni a few years ago but never really got into it, but after adding it to my minestrone a few weeks ago I got into it again. Mum made risoni over the easter holiday, and after following her process I decided to give it a go (or rather risoni was all i had at home) and my hookas' risoni* came out really well - i even made it two nights in a row!


*I'm calling it hookas' risoni b/c I used stuff I had in my pantry and fridge - which means that pretty much any vegie would be good in it!

Pantry.

Risoni (small graines of pasta which look like rice, similar to risotto)
2 tins chopped tomato
powdered vegetable stock
dried chilli flakes

Fridge.
Parsley chopped
Zucchini sliced and quartered
Mushroom thinly sliced
Broccolli in small florets
Parmesan cheese grated thickly
red onion (sliced thinly in strands)

Confession - I only had one mushroom, half a zucchini and 3 florets of broc. I also nipped half an onion from lisa and a bunch of parsley from dan's vegie patch.


I'd say you want 50/50 risoni and vegies if you're using a good amount of vegies and making it for more than four people. This recipe makes for 3 (or one hungry jess and a bite for ant)
1. Heat oil and simmer onion and garlic. Add tinned tomato and stir together.

2. Add risoni. The amount of risoni used depends on volume of leftovers you have. At this stage I'd put in one and a half cups (it does expand) to go with my miniscule vegie stash. Stir through and simmer for one minute.

3. Add all vegies and desired amount of chilli flakes. I like mine hot.

4. Once all is stirred through add more risoni if needed.

5. Pour over warm water till mixture is just covered. Add powdered vege stock (or 1 stock cube) and stir.

6. Let simmer and absorb liquid, stirring every couple of minutes. The risoni will talke 12-15 minutes to cook. Add salt and pepper to taste.

7. Just before serving add chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.

Note. The second night I made this i used chopped spinach instead of broccolli- i don't think it worked as well. The mushiness of the broccolli was really yummy.

yum- i wish i was having this tonight :(

1 comment:

  1. I think we called it hookers pasta cos it was quick to make between 'jobs' rather than being elCheapo :)

    Mum(my)

    ReplyDelete