Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ahem, Proud Mary, thankyou very much.

I've been meaning to get down to Proud Mary since it opened a few months ago, but moving further west has made it more than just a quick bike ride away....


After a besties spa date in Glen Waverley over the most recent weeken, V and I decided to go to Proud Mary for breakfast. Dropped May off at work by 9.30, bleary eyed I conquered the eastern freeway and rewarded myself with a a Proud Mary coffee.

V ordered the Ricotta hot cakes with a roasted apricot, maple syrup and vanilla bean icecream while I ordered the crispy hash - smoked salmon and dill creme freiche served over a hashbrown topped with sauteed spinach and a poached egg.

My analysis:

The coffee was certainly delicious and very strong, but perhaps a little burnt. Service was great, ambiance wasn't nearly as 'so so' as I'd imagined (due to all the hype!)... I really enjoyed the atmosphere actually, everyone seemed friendly and relaxed (maybe because it was 10am on a sunday morning!?)

Anyway, both the meals were great and huge!

Poor V couldn't even get through the second of her three hotcakes! I was able to make myself finish my whole plate - for the sake of food guilt... and was happy with my breakfast but thought the hash could have been cooked longer, or made thinner. The massive wad of potato, wasn't as flavoured as I would have liked and seemed to drown out the fresh flavors of the accompaniedments. Again, with V's hotcakes - coulda been cooked a bit longer, they were quite doughy as they were, making it understandable as to why she couldn't finish them. That combined with the rich sweet gooeyness is a task I was glad not to attempt.

Overall it was great food made from quality ingredients, I would venture back but suggest they downsize their breakkie servings, otherwise with my food guilt I'll become obese!

Proud Mary @
Stanley Street & Oxford Street
Collingwood

No comments:

Post a Comment