Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Saturday, July 25, 2009

variation on vegies, tofu and rice dish


A few months ago I posted one of my favourite healthy asian inspired dinners. A came back from o/s and went to do some shopping at the MASSIVE asian supermarket on victoria st. I asked him to pick me up some tofu, basic vege, garlic, soy sauce and ginger. Grateful he was happy to pick my dinner supplies up for me, i was a little hesitant to the kind of tofu i would get as well as to the vegies i would have.

What I came up with using the veg he picked up is a bit different from my easy din din bit its still yummy, healthy and easy to prepare. I wouldnt have bothered popping it up but the picture makes the dish look pretty authentic and pretty! I mean I wouldn't make it for a banquet with guests or anything but for an easy nutritious dinner at home its pretty damn tasty!

Shopping trolley.
Light soy sauce
smoked tofu
bok choy
chinese brocolli
soy bean shoots
sesame seeds
shitake mushrooms
garlic
ginger
sweet chilli sauce
sesame oil
Medium grain rice

Prepare.
So as with the other tofu preparation, Rather than slicing the tofu to grill it, A thinly sliced it into 1 inch strips. The tofu was marinated in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and sweet chilli. Because the tofu is dense the flavor soaks right in and makes the already flavoursome tofu quite salty.

Chop bok choy and chinese brocolli into bite size pieces (not asking for a vegie death wish here). Slice mushrooms thinly.

Cook the rice in a rice cooker and steam the thick steams of the brocolli to reduce waste and to add to the stir fry later....

In a wok heat sesame oil till very hot. Toss tofu mixture through, until colouring slightly. Add mushrooms, bok choy stems and broccoli stems. Heat through until reduced and add remaining vegetables. Stir throughly so to prevent burning.

Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment