Instagram

Instagram

Twitter

Monday, May 11, 2009

Dexter Bar and Cafe



123 Queens Parade Clifton Hill
9486 5192

Dexter on Queens Parade in Clifton Hill is my favourite place to visit on a nice weekend or holiday when I'm relaxing at home. Just a short walk from my front step I like friends (Ailliche, Peta, Kate, V-Ho, Jess...) to meet me at my house so we can all walk up together.

Photo: Me @ Dexters Cup Day 2008

There are a number of reasons why it is my fav bar, they are as follows (in no particular order - as all are equally good reasons!):

  • Luke, the publican/owner is always welcoming with a big smile and a new tattoo to show off.
  • The food, oh the food! Out of a tiny self-constructed kitchen consisting of a mixture of industrial and home appliances, Luke and his team of equally friendly staff make meals that large 'fancier' kitchens would fight to beat. I am sure that this is why Dexter had found itself in The Age's Cheap eats guide as well as in many other Melbourne restaurant books. Good prices mixed with logical dishes, generous portions and quality ingredients come to play here. My pick: the field mushrooms on sourdough with persian feta and balsamic reduction. I would never attempt to make it at home, it would be too big a sin!
  • The Dexter community - I have met many lovely people and dogs (Bonnie the staffy is usually sun baking) sitting in the sun out front at Dexter. Friends, locals and regulars come together pretty much every weekend. I have had some of my best drunken intellectual rants with the regulars at Dex; and I look forward to many more!
  • The drinks - In addition to Luke's fine selection of ingredients - the man knows his alcohol, it's name, origin and serving suggestion. Oh and the bloody marys are the best E.V.E.R!
Okay so as you've probably already realised I could write a sonnet about all the reasons why I love dexter but I wont - i'll just let you try it out and write one for me.

13 comments:

  1. You have used my photo without permission and in violation of my creative commons licence. Please either remove it or meet the terms of the licenec by providing attribution and a link to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re above plagerism, dropping you from rss feed.

    dont need to waste my time with lazy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Jess, Brian's photo is so crap he should be paying you to use it. He is both uptight and talentless - a unique combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the photo is so crappy, why use it? Crap or not, it has been stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look, someone has to be the one to say it - we're talking about one tiny, pretty badly written, low-traffic blog versus another. Isn't it more important for you people to band together? Seriously, why not be generous? Or, you know, move on and think about other "exciting stuff" to write about? Seriously, this guy Brian is a freak. Who cares that Jess used a tiny thumbnail of his picture?
    Only a sad prick would do a big post calling her a thief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banding together requires mutual respect. I don't steal other people's content and expect the same respect in return. There is no excuse for ignorance when I have asked to be treated with respect. It's simply unethical. You have no idea what my traffic is so your anonymous posturing is pointless. I have been writing on blogging ethics and Jess' theft is another case study in how not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess... When I travelled America I picked up a great little term for someone who wilfully does something unfair that disappoints you (cutting in front of you in traffic etc)... I think it applies here, given you wilfully stole a pic, didnt attribute it, and haven't had the decency to respond to the author.

    You're a "fuckstain".

    Your blog is also a fuckstain amongst blogs.

    I won't be revisiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To all, I am sorry. I have been experimenting with this little blog. Unfortunately I haven't been able to view comments and haven't received e-mail notifications of comments. I am deeply sorry for any offense caused and will in future give photo credit, I have not been able to access any data regarding blog traffic, comments and members. A few of my friends have told me they commented but these comments have not worked. Please 'anonymous' i am grateful that you stood up for me and sorry that you have since decided not to visit me again. As I said, I have not been able to see comments, if i had been able to I would have responded much earlier.

    Regardless of any ill feelings toward me I take this as a positive experience. It adds to my blogging education - which is precisely why i set this up in the first place.

    I, as many other member of the online community before me, am simply trying to explore new ways of communicating, archiving and networking.

    Again I am deeply sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jess, I'm the first 'anonymous', not the second. The second anonymous seems kind of horrible. I still support you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks anonymous1 - bryan was happy to accept my apology. appreciate the support, hope you continue checking out my blog! any suggestions are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jess,

    I'm a fitzroyalty reader who's glad for Brian's blog post because it led me to your pretty damn divine spinach pizza. OMG. That rocked.

    Really appreciate your handling of a sensitive situation and hope to continue reading great food rambles on your blog.

    hannybanny

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks hannybanny - you have no idea how glad i am that you enjoyed the pizza! As confronting as this issue is, i really am glad that it has turned out this way, i wouldn't have had any traffic at all without the controversy lol. But I certainly have learnt my lesson and am becoming fanatical about checking my comments. SO please, so i don't get discouraged continue commenting and suggesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete